Grandparent Rights

Put simply, a grandparent has the right to be involved in their grandchild’s life. For one reason or another, after divorce or separation, it can be more difficult for this to happen than it should be. At the Law Offices of James E. Crawford, Jr. & Associates, we can help make it a reality.

No legal matter is easy, especially when it comes to family law. As attorneys having helped Maryland residents since 1992, we understand how hard it can be for a grandparent after their son or daughter goes through a divorce or separation.

Give us a call at 443-709-9999 today to discuss your case

What to Do If You’re a Grandparent

A grandparent – especially a grandparent who has a real, significant relationship with a grandchild – has a right to continue that relationship after their son or daughter gets divorced or separated. It’s that simple. However, there can be major roadblocks put up by your son’s or daughter’s ex-spouse or partner, including:

  • Not enough visitation time or a major change in the ordinary schedule
  • Outright refusal of visitation time with your grandchild
  • Threats to move out-of-state or to some other location

In some cases, you may fear for the health, safety and well-being of your grandchild and wish to seek more access to your grandchild, such as custody.

If you’re a grandparent, you can petition the court to order child custody or visitation time, depending on the circumstances.

A divorce or separation shouldn’t be the end of seeing your grandchild. Sometimes, you’ll need to do more than just see your grandchild – you’ll want to be his or her caregiver. We can help you. Call 443-709-9999 to set up a consultation with experienced family law attorneys today.