Managing Director – Domestic/Civil Litigation
JC Law is the largest family law practice in the state of Maryland with additional offices throughout the mid-Atlantic region. Established in 1992, the firm has grown in both size and capability into its current leadership position amongst some of the nation’s top family law firms.
We are in the business of perfecting the art of practicing law. Our unique approach to litigation, client relationships, and business management is fully encapsulated in what we call The Perfect Client Lifecycle. This ethos is the philosophical foundation of what we strive to do as well as the operational roadmap that guides how we practice law on a daily basis.
We are rapidly expanding our footprint. Our success over previous years has created an unprecedented opportunity to grow our firm in terms of employees, clients served, and geographic inﬂuence. We are amid a multi-year, multi-state, and multi-city growth plan. Talent will be the fuel that powers this rapid expansion across the region as we launch multiple new offices over the coming years.
We are Entrepreneurial Litigators. Our experienced leadership team, a talented workforce of legal professionals, and our unique approach to the business of law have established our reputation as a best-in-class family, civil, and criminal litigation firm. This is where litigators learn to be litigators.
We compete for talent! We know the talent we are seeking to hire have options and are discerning about where they choose to work. We strive to be the employer of choice for top talent in the family, civil and criminal arenas. Our approach to atracting the best lawyers and supporting staﬀ is simple: Provide a strongly competitive compensation package, and pair it with a benefits package to take care of your health and retirement needs. We also oﬀer accelerated advancement and development opportunities all while providing you a network of support to do your best work and achieve your career goals.
We are seeking to add a Managing Director to our rapidly expanding practice. This role holds significant junior executive- level responsibility within the firm overseeing multiple teams of attorneys and operational decision making. You will also be directly involved in all aspects of the practice of family law supporting our clients in areas including, but not limited to, divorce proceedings, adoptions, prenuptial agreements, visitation rights, protective orders and custody filings.
- Billing at least 20 hours per week (approximately 1040 hours/annually)
- Selling firm services to prospective clients for at least 5 hours per week
- Managing your client collection rate ensuring it remains above 75% on a weekly basis
- Working with the in-house financial team to forecast client billings
- Leading and developing a team of at least 30 (Supervising Atys, Associates, LAs and Law Clerks)
- Providing representation of clients in court and through legal proceedings
- Leading and evolving JC Law’s Perfect Client Lifecycle development program
- Managing a regular schedule of hearings and court appearances
- Advising JC Law staﬀ on legal maters and interpretation of laws and statutes
- Regular communication with clients regarding updates to their case
We believe results count for more than years of experience. If you prove to be capable of delivering value for your clients and the firm, there is no restriction on how high or how fast you can rise.
- Licensed to practice law in Virginia (a plus if you are barred in other states we have oﬃces)
- Experience litigating domestic and civil cases preferred
- Strong interpersonal & communication ability with the ability to inﬂuence and persuade
- Superior work ethic with a desire to succeed and build a life-long career in the legal profession
- Organized – able to eﬀectively manage time and multi-task competing priorities
- Knowledgeable in family law areas including childcare, paternity, adoption, domestic violence, ancillary relief, financial setlements, and willing to continue growing your knowledge base
- Adept at drafting custody agreements, wills, divorces, annulments, pre-nuptial agreements, child custody/support, and visitation rights, willing to expand your competency in each category
What we oﬀer:
We understand that the talent market is competitive. We want candidates to see us as the employer of choice based on our value proposition composed of compensation, resources, and beneﬁts.
- Base salary range for this role is $170,000-$200,000 annually (commensurate with ability)
- Potential to earn annual bonus and weekly commissions in addition to base salary
- Opportunity to achieve Partnership in as litle as 5 years depending on value creation
- Periodic compensation reviews & subsequent pay raises when deliverables are met
- Rapid promotability for motivated employees to advance and take on more responsibility
- Each attorney has a dedicated support team of paralegals, clerks, and discovery specialists
- Every attorney partakes in an education & training curriculum that exceeds industry standards
- Consistent new client ﬂow via an in-house sales & marketing team to support billable hours
- In-office Moot Courtroom and instruction designed to enhance your advocacy & litigation skills
- Full medical, dental, and vision healthcare plans including an HSA option
- 100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for individual employees
- 401K retirement plan with employer match and Profit-Sharing plan
- 2 weeks PTO and sick time, with the ability to roll over unused PTO from year to year
- Flexibility to work remotely 1 day per week after 90 days
EEOP Statement: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. All job requirements are subject to possible revision to reﬂect changes in the position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a threat or risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties which will be required in this position.